My old favorite game was judging books by their covers. My new favorite game, while less well-known than that classic, is very similar. It's imagining what a musican looks like based on their voice and style. To play this game, dear reader, you're going to have to promise me not to cheat. And while judging people and cheating often go hand-in-hand, let's put that practice on hold for a moment. Because I'm too internetally-challenged I can't figure out how to embed a video on this ol' blog of mine, so I'm going to post links to the songs. Just promise you won't peek on the sidebar at the singer's other videos, okay? Remember, every time you break a promise, God kills a baby animal. Good times!
The first artist is a blues man through and through. With a raspy voice, mean banjo skills, and songs about death, he's everything you could hope to find in a blues singer. Let's have a listen, shall we?
Do you have a picture of him in your head? Probably a little bit like this guy, huh?
Well, folks, they may sound alike, but William Elliott Whitmore is in fact NOT an older African American gent with a song in Holes, but rather a thirty-something tattooed white dude.

Well hello there, William Elliott Whitmore.

If you don't believe me and have to see it for yourself that that amazing voice can come out of that amazing-lookin' man, voila:
Also, I'm peeing my pants because I just found out that he'll be in DC in July. I can't wait to tell him I thought he was a fat old black man! That's a good pickup line, right?
Let's do this next one the opposite way around. You'll see her first and hear her voice last. Sia is an eccentric Australian singer and songwriter. Her album cover is her coloring all over her face.
In one of her music videos she's wearing everything from a pregnant belly to a bright orange bowl-cut wig to a fat suit to a Renaissance dress to a silver jumpsuit with a shark fin to mustache bleach to a midget strawberry shortcake outfit. She's weird in every sense of the word, and I love it. Imagine my surprise when I heard what came out of her mouth. Ready?
In one of her music videos she's wearing everything from a pregnant belly to a bright orange bowl-cut wig to a fat suit to a Renaissance dress to a silver jumpsuit with a shark fin to mustache bleach to a midget strawberry shortcake outfit. She's weird in every sense of the word, and I love it. Imagine my surprise when I heard what came out of her mouth. Ready?
Do you have anyone who falls into this category? Just keep your ears open and your eyes closed (preferably at all times, because that will lead to some hilarious stories).

No comments:
Post a Comment