Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bad Logos Part 1

In my extensive experience in the design world (a whopping not-even-a-year) I've come across some bad logos. I've seen logos that could be fixed with a few changes: a typeface replacement or an icon change would do the trick. I've also seen logos that need a serious overhaul: acronyms with 10 or more letters or the worst color combinations in history. In reality, I'm not one to judge; my logo design skills are seriously lacking, I'll be the first to admit that.

Actually, let me take that back. (Not the lacking skills part, the judging part.) I'll go ahead and judge. Life is more fun when you're a little sassy. Besides, these logos, company names, and imagery that I've collected are just begging to be judged. In fact, if the designer had asked at least ONE person what they thought then their work wouldn't even be making an appearance on my blog. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Let's begin.

You're the owner of a local pool cleaning company who wants to express the fact that you and your employees are professional and efficient. You want to show that you take the initiative to roll up your sleeves and transform a dirty pool into a clean, refreshing oasis. What kind of imagery will you use to do this? Something simple, classic, and fresh?

Nah.

How about a drunk frog who appears to have just finished puking off of a diving board?

Classy.

Let's take another look at an animal being used in a way that just doesn't make sense. This is a logo from a fleet of heavy-duty trucks that can transport anything from trash to construction equipment. They wanted to have a logo that inspired strength, showing the client that they could literally haul anything.

Like a bloody half of an ox.

I can't tell you how many times I've wondered who I was going to call to haul away my ox carcasses.

I'm a little bit offended by this next one. This is from a Jewish bus service that drives around DC. Don't worry, though, just because you're not Jewish doesn't mean they won't take you.

Fare is $1.50 and an affirmation that Jesus sucks. Just kidding! You're welcome to board, we'll try not to judge you.

Finally, I'd like to present something that needs no explanation:

We do not accept the following in our dumpsters: fast food bags, diapers, yard waste, or ox bodies. All other trash is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment